"Be kind to one another"
And this includes even the smallest of critters.
The next two weeks are our Bugs and Insects Theme.
Letters: Bb, Ii
Color: green/ lime
Number: 6
Verse: "Be kind to one another" Ephesians 4:32
I put together a "Ll is for Ladybug" Sensory Box.
Materials:
popcorn kernals
green foam
small bowl
toilet paper roll
Lady Bug Life Cycle (include egg, pupa, larva and adult)
Instructions:
Dump all the popcorn kernels into the tray/box.
Cut leaf shapes out of the green foam.
Place other times in the tray and allow the child to play and explore.
Watch for younger kids that they don't put the kernels in their mouths.
I put together a "Ll is for Ladybug" Sensory Box.
Materials:
popcorn kernals
green foam
small bowl
toilet paper roll
Lady Bug Life Cycle (include egg, pupa, larva and adult)
Instructions:
Dump all the popcorn kernels into the tray/box.
Cut leaf shapes out of the green foam.
Place other times in the tray and allow the child to play and explore.
Watch for younger kids that they don't put the kernels in their mouths.
Lady Bug Number Line
Materials:
10 rocks (or however many numbers you are putting on the number line)
red paint
black sharpie
strip of paper
masking tape (I used red)
Instructions
Paint the rocks red and allow to dry.
Using a black sharpie, draw lady bug faces onto the rocks.
Choose if you want to use numerals or dots for your child to practice. I chose both, every other one had a number and dots.
Draw your number line onto the strip of paper. I lined up the rocks in order first so I knew where to draw the lines because the rocks are different sizes.
Have your child place the lady bugs onto the number line in the correct order.
Felt Butterfly Symmetry
Materials
different colored felt
scissors
Instructions
Cut out at least three butterfly wing sets in varied colors
Cut out 4-5 butterfly bodies. I cut them in different shapes.
Cut our small shapes from varied colors (two of each).
Next, allow your child to assemble the butterflies how they choose. They can choose a set of wings, body and shapes. The idea is so each side of the butterfly wings look the same.
Lady Bug Math Game
Materials
red and black construction paper
scissors
Instructions
Cut out a lady bug using the red paper.
Cut out black spots that will fit onto the lady bug.
Sit with your child and play addition or subtraction by singing this song:
(sung to Frere Jacques)
See the lady bug, see the lady bug.
Please don't fly away, please don't fly away.
I can count your spots, I can count your spots.
Will you please stay, will you please stay?
Replace the last lines with this for subtraction:
I took (number) spots, I took (number) spots
And only (?) remain, and only (?) remain.
As you are singing, you will place a number of black spots onto the lady bug and by the time you finish the song, your child will have placed the same number onto their own.
For subtraction, set up the lady bug with the original number and tell them how many to take away.
Matching Wings
Materials
Butterflies ( I got these at the Dollar Tree store, they come in packs of three.)
Tape
Instructions
Cut one of the wings off.
Tape this set together because it separates.
Have your child match the wings to the other ones.
If you wanted you could print pictures of butterflies out instead.

Literature Connection:
Book: Inch by Inch written by: Leo Lionni
Felt Inchworm Ring
Materials
small piece of green felt
hot glue
sharpie
Instructions
Cut out a worm shape one inch long.
Draw an eye using the sharpie.
Cut a strip of felt the length of your child's finger.
Put a dot of hot glue in the center of the inchworm and glue it to the strip of felt.
Use another dot of glue to make a ring.
Then have your child go around the house or outdoors and measure objects using their interim, just like in the story.
Bug Hunt
The last "Hurrah" of these weeks was our trip to the local Sanctuary. We hiked the trails on a bug hunt to explore. We lifted fallen stumps, rustled piles of leaves. It was fun to see the girls' excitement of these critters. I have to admit, that in my attempt to catch and release a dragonfly for observations, it sadly passed. Ok, fine... I squished it. But it was a TOTAL ACCIDENT! Ahh... but, the girls saw nothing. geesh.
ON OUR BOOKSHELF
Bugs, Bugs, Bugs by: Bob Barner
A Picture Book of Insects by: Joanne Mattern
Bud's Bug Hunt by Majorie Curtis
A Very Hungry Caterpillar by: Eric Carle
I Like Bugs by Margaret Wise Brown (We used this one for our reader the first week)
The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
Bumblebee, Bumblebee Do You Know Me? By: Anne Rockwell
Inch By Inch by: Leo Lionni




No comments:
Post a Comment