The second half of our February we are focusing on owls.
I compiled a list of books that we either had, borrowed from a friend or from the library. WE LOVE THE LIBRARY! I mean, come on. It is an entire "book store" without having to buy OR store. It is like being able to have access to every book your local book store has but they basically volunteer to keep the books safe for you until you need them. love it. can't say it enough. Visit your local library. Seriously. Do it.
OWL BOOK LIST
I compiled a list of books that we either had, borrowed from a friend or from the library. WE LOVE THE LIBRARY! I mean, come on. It is an entire "book store" without having to buy OR store. It is like being able to have access to every book your local book store has but they basically volunteer to keep the books safe for you until you need them. love it. can't say it enough. Visit your local library. Seriously. Do it.
OWL BOOK LIST
The Little White Owl by: Tracey Gorderoy
Owl Moon by: Jane Yolen
Big Bad Owl by: Steve Smallman
Owl Babies by: Martin Waddell
Owls by: Gail Gibbons
Owl and Moon by: Heather Swick
Oola the Owl Who Lost Her Hoot by: Tim Bugbird
The Littlest Owl by: Caroline Pitcher
WOW! Said the Owl by: Tim Hopgood
Three Little Owls by: Sandi Harrold
Little Owl’sNight by: Divya Srinivasan
Little Owl’s Day by: Divya Srinivasan
Owls by: Sarah Courtauld
Owl Howl by: Paul Friester
Twelve Owls by: Laura Erickson
Owls by: Natures Children Scholastic
Owl Moon Diorama
After reading Owl Moon by: Jane Yolen the threenager and I made a diorama. Inspired from here.
We took an old box (We used the box our snacks get mailed in bc it was sturdier).
The threenager painted the inside of the box with black paint. For the ground we used water down liquid school glue. I watered it down for easier spreading with a paint brush.
Then sprinkled it with purple sand. Her choice. Her reasoning? "Because sand doesn't look white at night mommy. It looks Purpley." (Is that a word? Eh.
We have been gathering sticks for this project on our walks. We trimmed them to fit and hot glued them. (I did this part bc the glue is hot for tiny fingers.)
She drew and colored a moon then cut it out and glued it in place.
Next were the owl eyes. I drew circles on a paper and had her put two matching sized eyes in each. Then counted and discussed how "4 owls would be how many eyes?" Etc.
She placed the eyes where she wanted them on the scene and I hot glued them in place. My favorite ones are where there are two sets of eyes on top of each other.
Me: "Sweetie, are you sure you want two sets there?"
E: "Yes mama. It's a mommy and a baby snuggling."
Me: heart grew two more sizes.
And done. A beautiful night scene with peeping owls.
"Late one winter night a little girl and her father go owling. The trees stand still as statues and the world is silent as a dream. Whoo-whoo-whoo, the father calls to the mysterious nighttime bird.
But there is no answer." ~ Owl Moon



No comments:
Post a Comment