Saturday, April 18, 2015

Garden Theme Week 2

Week two of our garden theme has begun! And I'm very excited that progress in our sweet kids garden has shown growth!
The sunflowers my daughter planted from seeds are sprouting! 

It truly is a miracle. No joke. I can not seem to grow anything. Even when I get plants "pre grown" they die. I do not have a green thumb. Hoping because it was my daughter doing the planting that she did not inherit this curse. 

We went on a garden field trip to my sweet friend's house who DOES have a green thumb! 


Her yard is gorgeous with veggies and flowers growing abundantly. 
They played a fun game of find the plant "this" vegetable or fruit came from. 


They got to gather flowers, water the plants and learn from a hand that knows. It's a a wonderful hands in learning experience for the girls. 

INDEPENDENT TRAYS
PRESCHOOL 

Parts of a Plant

Materials
Parts of a plant cards (easily made but can be found here)
Real or fake flower to observe 

Instructions
Have child observe flower 
Then have them place the picture cards in the correct order 
Last have them match the parts cards to the correct part of the flower. 


Flower Punch 

Materials
Flower punches 
Small paper (I used index cards) 

Instructions
Have child insert paper into punch. 
Punch. 

Simple. I plan to use the flowers for a project later. 


Seed Journal with Booklet 

Materials
Packets of various seeds 
Ziplocs in the amount of your packets
Crayons or colored pencils
Lunch bag
Paper cut in half 

Instructions
Make this first: 
Empty seeds into sandwich bags one per bag. 
Put the packet in with them. 
Line up zippers. 
Staple twice. This keeps the bags from sliding. 
Then roll bags to make tighter. 
Staple again. 
This should make a booklet like this. 

Then cut the paper bag so it's just longer than the sheets of halved papers. I cut the open end off so there would be a "spine" already made from the bottom of the bag. 
Cut very slightly the sides of the bag so it opens wide. 
Place sheets of halved papers inside. 
Close up bag so it's like a cover. 
Staple. 

Now for the child's part

Have child "read" the seed book. 
Then the child can illustrate the seeds and write what kind they are. 


Seed Sort

Materials 
As many seeds as you'd like (I used the same seeds from the above activity.) 
A sectioned tray (an ice cube tray would work) 
Small sow bowl (I used a washed out feta cheese container) 
Rice to fill bowl 
Index cards
Markers 
Tape

Instructions
Pour rice into bowl along with the seeds (I used 10 of each to help me keep track) 
Draw pictures of each seeds plant and tape into tray 
Child is to find the seeds and sort them by their plant. 


TODDLER TIME

Aroma Garden

Materials
Plastic salt and pepper shakers
Varied scents

I used:
Cinnamon
Lemon
Cloves
Basil
Lavender
Chocolate mint
Rosemary
Elderberry

Instructions
Place some of the above into each shaker. 
Put too back on. 
Let child smell away and guess what they are smelling. 


Sensory Bin
Garden 

Materials
Black beans to fill bin
Small flower pots
Fake flowers
Scoop
Anything else garden fun 

Instructions 
Let your child play. 
That's it. They will guide themselves in their play and hone fine motor skills with this bin. 

To close out the past two weeks we hosted a Garden Party. 

We had some special "garden" treats. 

We had two different activites at the party. 
Flower Petal Watercolors 

I got the idea here


Word Flower Picking 

Materials 
Foam flowers
Sharpie
Masking tape
Chalk

Instructions
Write the words (letters) you are working on onto the foam flowers. 
Tape flowers into fence
Draw stems 


Then call out a word and they have o find it and pick it. 

No comments: