Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Springing into Spring

We are all a flutter that Spring is here! It's so fun with a toddler. Teaching her to experience new growth and the transformation from worn to new is exciting!  
We kicked it off with something that I already know my daughter loves - flowers! 

I originally planned to go for a flower hunt but it ended up raining so we "planted" flowers inside instead. The best part of this activity is the flowers never die and they don't need to be watered. Plus they can be replanted over and over again! 



For the reusable flower garden you will need:
Contact paper
Masking tape
Variety of colored foam



Cut a piece of contact paper any size you'd like your garden to be. 
Using the masking tape hanging it on a window (I used our sliding glass door) sticky side out. 
Cut stems and leaves out of green foam and different flower shapes from the other colors. 
Have your little one plant away! 



The rain eventually did let up but not enough to go on our hunt so flower (eh,hem weed) picking in the backyard had to do. She loved trompping in her raincoat and boots! 



We also created a Spring Sensory Box. 

I put in:

Small rocks and a few large ones (can be found anywhere they sell dried flowers even the Dollar Store) 
A small bird nest (bought in the dollar bins at Target last Fall)
Feathers
Eggs (um, hello it's Easter time so these should be simple enough to locate) 
I also included a spatula from her kitchen set to use as a "rake" and a spoon to use as a "shovel"

She loves to put the eggs in the nest and "watch them hatch". 

Happy Spring! 

No comments: